25 Fun Facts about Morocco

25 Fun Facts about Morocco

Today, we’re traveling to Morocco, a place filled with incredible colors, fascinating culture, and delicious food!

Did you know that even though Morocco is located in Africa, it’s only 8 miles (13 km) away from Europe? Or that the national animal of the country is the Barbary Lion?

Yes, Morocco is full of surprises!

So, whether you want to learn more about this fantastic country or are planning a family trip there, we’ve put together this short guide with 25 interesting facts to help you.

Ready, set, go!

  • The official name of Morocco is the Kingdom of Morocco.
  • The King of Morocco is Mohammed VI. He accepted the throne on the 23rd of July 1999 and has two children: Prince Moulay Hassan III and Lalla Khadijah.
  • Morocco borders Algeria to the east, the Mediterranean Sea to the north, the Atlantic Ocean to the west, and Mauritania and Mali to the south.
  • The south of the country is blanketed by the Sahara Desert, which is the hottest desert on the planet.
  • 11.5% of Morocco is forested.

  • The High Atlas Mountains are the highest mountains in North Africa and run from Morocco to Tunisia. The highest peak is called Toubkal and is 4,167 meters high. It is located in central Morocco.
  • Morocco has the highest plant diversity in North Africa.
  • The country is the northwesternmost country in the Maghreb region of North Africa.
  • Morocco is approximately the same size as the US state of California.
  • The largest city in Morocco is Casablanca, but the capital city is Rabat.
  • Marrakesh is the cultural capital of the country. It’s known for its markets (called souks), and colorful traditional Moroccan houses (called riads).

  • The Moroccan currency is called the dirham.
  • Morocco’s population is approximately 37.6 million people.
  • Most Moroccans are Amazigh, also called Berber. The term Amazigh or Berber refers to the indigenous people of North Africa.
  • Amazigh means ‘’free people’’.
  • 99% of Moroccans are Muslims, and the other 1% are Jewish or Christians.

  • Morocco was a French protectorate between 1912 and 1956.
  • The official language of Morocco is Classical Arabic, but many dialects are spoken in the country. The most common dialect is Darija, which is influenced by Berber.
  • 35% of Moroccans also speak French, and 20% can speak Spanish.
  • The country is a member of ‘’the International Organization of the Francophonie’’ an organization representing regions where a large percentage of the population speaks French like Canada or Belgium.
  • The median age in the country is 29 years old.

  • Moroccans like to eat on low round tables while sitting on the floor.
  • Meals are an opportunity to bring families and friends together.
  • The most famous Moroccan dish is couscous, a semolina-based dish served with a stew.
  • Moroccans love pastries, and the most popular one is the Makrout, a diamond-shaped cookie made with semolina and date paste.

And that’s a wrap for our fun facts about Morocco.

Want to spark your child’s curiosity about geography and culture? Our mystery subscription boxes are designed to transport your child to a new country every month through fun and hands-on activities. So, don’t hesitate to sign up now for a chance to win a free 3-month subscription!

Back to blog